Managing money effectively is a key success skill. Successful people make the decision to become effective with money, many of them early in life. Like any area of life, it is important to educate yourself about the threats and challenges in the world. Taking the time to master a few key principles will pay off for years to come.
1. They don’t overspend; they live on less than they make. Start by looking for ways to save money.
2. They don’t fixate on price; they understand the importance of value. Tip: Buy high quality products that will last for a long time.
3. They don’t waste cash on fees and interest; they know how to manage their banking
4. They don’t forget to adjust their finances after big changes in life. Sitting down by yourself (or with a financial expert) at least once a year to review your life and financial plan is an excellent way to stay on top of important changes. Arrange your finances for the long term with estate planning.
5. They are not satisfied with a stagnant income; they look for ways to increase their income. Increased income gives you more options for personal enjoyment, more capacity to give money, and a sense of security.
6. They don’t ignore financial statements. Successful people set a time each month–30 to 60 minutes–to review all of their financial accounts: investments, bank accounts, credit cards and more. When they detect an error or omission, they take immediate action.
7. They don’t take foolish risks in money. Remember: If it sounds too good to be true (or if you don’t understand how it works), slow down and start asking plenty of questions.
8. They don’t pretend to understand everything when it comes to money. Review your knowledge of money and investments. If you are just starting out, read one or two classic personal finance books.
9. They don’t transfer responsibility to experts. Successful people do seek out the advice of experts, yet they never yield responsibility. When seeking advice from professionals like accountants and lawyers, ask questions and seek to have the advice explained to you. Otherwise, it is difficult to act on the advice.
10. They don’t let the pursuit of money overcome other values. Significant financial resources give you more options to give to causes you believe in. It also means improved access to technology, health care and leisure. However, successful people understand that financial success is only one aspect of a successful life. For example, neglecting health in the pursuit of money is a poor strategy.
Review your personal goals to see if you have a balance between financial goals, career goals, family goals and other activities.
Join the conversation
Support Ripples Nigeria, hold up solutions journalism
Balanced, fearless journalism driven by data comes at huge financial costs.
As a media platform, we hold leadership accountable and will not trade the right to press freedom and free speech for a piece of cake.
If you like what we do, and are ready to uphold solutions journalism, kindly donate to the Ripples Nigeria cause.
Your support would help to ensure that citizens and institutions continue to have free access to credible and reliable information for societal development.
SPECIAL REPORT: Shell’s inaccurate data raises questions around efforts to control methane emissions in Nigeria
Much worse for the environment than carbon dioxide, despite global efforts to control methane, emissions continue soaring. With over a...
FEATURE…Missing Rig Workers: Tragedy, Injustice and the Depthwize cabal
The serene landscape of Ovhor in Delta State bore witness to a disaster that shook the nation’s conscience. The capsize...
FEATURE… In the shadow of kidnappers: The story of Nigeria’s albatross
For decades, Nigeria has been grappling with a problem that has threatened the safety and stability of its people: kidnapping....
FEATURE: The falling standard of education in Nigeria today: Whose Fault?
Over the years, education has proven to be the fulcrum facilitating national development in any state. Through education, knowledge is...
INVESTIGATION: Failed multi-million naira constituency water projects litter Sokoto communities
Many rural communities in Sokoto State are at the risk of an outbreak of diarrhea and other diseases due to...