These 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers will interest you this Friday morning.
1. With removal of Oyo-Ita, Buhari has shown once again that there are no sacred cows in his govt —BMO
The Buhari Media Organisation (BMO) has said that President Muhammadu Buhari’s removal of the Head of Service, Winifred Oyo-Ita, has demonstrated once more that there are no sacred cows in his government. Recall that President Buhari, Wednesday, asked the embattled Oyo-Ita to proceed on “indefinite leave” pending the determination of the corruption probe by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), a decision many conclude meant termination of appointment.
2. Controversy brews as CAN alleges plan by El-rufai to demolish 110-yr-old Anglican Church
The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) Kaduna State, on Thursday raised the alarm on what it described as a plan by the state government to demolish one of the oldest Anglican churches in Zaria. CAN, said a quit notice had been issued to the church concerned, ST. George’s Anglican Church in Sabon Gari, Zaria which was founded about 110 years ago.
3. Army blacklists Action Against Hunger NGO for allegedly sabotaging antiterrorism war
The Theatre Command, Operation LAFIYA DOLE has accused some Non Governmental Organizations (NGO) working in Nigeria’s North East of engaging in “notorious” activities to sabotage Nigeria’s anti-terrorism war. Spokesman of the Command, Col Ado Isa, particularly named the group known as Action Against Hunger for providing food and water to the terrorists.
4. Biafra can’t be ignored any longer, our matter now before the UN —Kanu
The leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, has said that the agitation for Biafra could no longer be ignored because issues pertaining to the struggle had been laid before various arms and agencies of the United Nations (UN). IPOB’s media and publicity secretary, Emma Powerful stated this in a statement on Thursday. He said Kanu recently led a delegation of “Biafrans” to a series of meetings with various UN agencies and officials at Geneva.
5. After taking $2.4bn loan in 2018, Nigeria approaches World Bank again for fresh $2.5bn loan
The Nigerian government has approached the World Bank for a fresh loan of $2.5 billion. Vice-President for the African division of the World Bank, Hafez Ghanem, revealed that they were in talks with Nigeria on the concessionary loan.
6. NEC MEETING: N100bn approved for National Livestock Transformation Plan
The National Economic Council (NEC) has proposed a budget of 100 billion Naira for the implementation of the National Livestock Transformation Plan (NLTP). Chairman of the subcommittee on farmer-herder crisis, Governor Dave Umahi of Ebonyi State, told State House Correspondents that it was agreed that the Federal Government would bear 80 per cent of the amount while participating states would support with 20 billion naira and provision of lands for the programme.
7. Suspected Port Harcourt serial killer arrested
The Nigeria Police Thursday revealed that it had arrested suspected Port Harcourt serial killer, Gracious David. The 26-year-old David, who hails from Buguma Local Government Area of the State, was said to be a member of the Degbam cult group and was arrested along East-West Road enroute to Uyo from Port Harcourt. This was contained in a statement shared by the force on its verified twitter handle, @PoliceNG.
8. $9.6BN DEBT: Not backing down, P&ID vows to identify and seize Nigeria’s assets
Undeterred by Thursday’s order of a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja winding it up and seizing its properties, Process and Industrial Development Limited (P&ID) has vowed to continue its efforts at identifying and seizing assets belonging to Nigeria. The court on Thursday convicted P&ID and its Nigeria affiliate, Process and Industrial Development Nigeria Limited, on an 11-count charge of fraud and tax evasion.
9. Gov Obaseki appoints more cabinet members
Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki, has nominated Benjamin Iyase to serve as a Commissioner in the State. This was announced in a statement issued on Thursday by the Secretary to the Edo government, Osarodion Ogie. According to the statement, his name has been forwarded to the Edo State House of Assembly for consideration and confirmation.
10. ANAMBRA 2021: I’ll be too old to contest —Ngige
Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, has dispelled rumours that he was planning to contest the Anambra governorship election in 2021. The minister who was at Obosi, Idemili Local Government Area of the state, said he would be too old to contest in the state’s governorship election. Denying the claims, he said: “That is not possible again. By 2021, I will be too old for that. So, you can see with me that, that is no longer possible.”
Latest posts by Ripples Nigeria (see all)
- Govt, public react as telecoms operators announce plan to charge for USSD bank transactions; what this means for consumers - October 20, 2019
- Nigerian govt earmarks $1.61bn for 24-hour power supply, targets 20,000MW by 2022 - October 20, 2019
- BREXIT: Johnson causes stir, sends conflicting letters to EU - October 20, 2019