These 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers will interest you this Tuesday morning.
1. Buhari showed inclusiveness by giving Anambra 2 ministers, says Oshiomhole
The National Chairman of the All Progresssives Congress (APC), Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, has said that President Muhammadu Buhari’s 43-man ministerial list is meant to boost the formation of an all-inclusive government. He stated that the President was magnanimous enough to nominate 2 ministers from a state (Anambra) that contributed less than 5% of his votes in the 2019 presidential election.
2. Your ultimatum expires today, Biafra youths remind northern group
The Biafra Nations Youth League (BNYL) has reminded the Coalition of Northern Groups (CNG) that the ultimatum they gave to Southerners to vacate the North will expire today, July 30, 2019.
3. Okorocha blames Buhari for Fashola’s grey hair
Imo West Senator and former governor of Imo State, Rochas Okorocha, has blamed President Muhammadu Buhari for much of the grey hair on the head of the former Power, Works and Housing Minister, Babatunde Fashola. He stated this while the Senate screened Fashola at the ministerial screening exercise, pointing out that the three ministries assigned to him were too much to be headed by one person.
4. El-Zakzaky, wife too sick to appear in court
A Kaduna State High Court has set aside August 5, 2019, to rule on the bail application filed by the leader by the Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN), Ibrahim EL-Zakzaky and his wife, Zeenat. This was after the Counsel to El-Zakzaky, Femi Falana, said that his clients were too sick to appear before the court.
5. Buhari has laid the foundation to move South-east to next level says Osinbajo
Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo has stated that President Muhammadu Buhari’s nomination of notable persons from Anambra State into the federal cabinet, ongoing important projects in the South-east region, signal new beginning, vision and direction for the region and its people.
6. Power to appoint INEC Chairman should rest with judiciary, says Atiku
The Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the last general elections, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, has called for the implementation of the recommendations of the National Electoral Reform Committee (NERC) to avoid rigging in future elections. NERC, which was headed by former Chief Justice of the Federation, Justice Mohammed Lawal Uwais, recommended among other things, that the power to appoint the Chairman and board of the nation’s body should be taken away from the President and given to the judiciary.
7. EFCC arrests Kwara director, bank officials over alleged N2bn fraud
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Ilorin Zonal Office, has arrested Segun Soewu, Director General, Kwara State Bureau of Small and Medium Enterprise Development over an alleged N2 billion fraud. According to reports, the anti-graft agency had earlier received intelligence reports alleging fraudulent misappropriation and mismanagement of about N2 billion given by the Kwara State Government to assist market men and women across the 16 Local Government of the State.
8. Niger Delta groups demand non-Northerner as FCT minister
A coalition of civil society organisations based in the Niger Delta region has appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari to appoint a non-Northerner as the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) minister. They declared that it is an act of injustice that only Northerners are appointed as ministers of the FCT since 1979 to date.
9. Kidnappers of Siasia’s mum reduce ransom from N70m to N50m
The kidnappers of Mrs Beauty Ogere Siasia, the mother of former Super Eagles striker and coach, Samson Siasia, have reduced their ransom demand for her release to N50 million from the initial N70 million. Mrs Siasia, 79, was kidnapped 16 days ago alongside 65-year-old Florence Donana and her 17-year-old granddaughter in Bayelsa State.
10. Four suspected kidnappers killed in gun battle with Police
Reports have it that four suspected kidnappers in Taraba State have been killed in a gun battle with the Police in the Bali Local Government Area of the State. This was made public in a statement by the Taraba State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP David Misal.
- 1,430 new COVID-19 infections take Nigeria’s total caseload to 122,996. Deaths, recoveries updated - January 25, 2021
- NDLEA to propose drug tests for government appointees, security agents, others - January 25, 2021
- Police arrests supplier of arms to bandits in Katsina - January 25, 2021