The health ministry of the Democratic Republic of Congo DRC has confirmed that no less than 24 victims out of 33 persons affected have lost their lives in the recent outbreak of Ebola virus.
According to the ministry, the cases were discovered between October 8 and October 14.
So far, 211 confirmed and probable cases of Ebola have been reported since early July, when the latest outbreak of the disease started, the World Health Organization (WHO) has said.
Of those, 138 people have died from the highly deadly hemorrhagic fever.
Weeks ago, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned of an impending Ebola “perfect storm” in the wake of attacks by armed groups, community resistance and the geographic spread of the disease in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Reports say a deadly attack by rebels in Beni, a flashpoint city in North Kivu region of the DRC forced aid workers to halt Ebola prevention activities in the area.
The deadly attack which occurred in the restive east over the weekend claimed 21 lives with the Congolese army blaming the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), a notorious rebel militia for the assault.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) said it, and other aid agencies, have been forced to temporarily suspend activities in Beni because of the attack.
RipplesNigeria… without borders, without fears
Latest posts by Ripples Nigeria (see all)
- Like Peter Obi, Ihedioha attacked my prophecy and the consequence is there for all to see – Mbaka - January 19, 2020
- Nigerian govt excludes sanitary pads, 19 others from VAT hike - January 19, 2020
- Ansaru claims responsibility for Yobe monarch’s attack - January 19, 2020