It might seem like making a commitment has to mean letting go of some of your independence, but couples who retain a sense of personal independence may be quicker at resolving arguments and better able to invest in the relationship.
Listed below are four ways to be more independent in your relationship.
1. Spend Some Time Alone: Alone time gives you a chance to recharge and refresh. We all need a bit of solitude and it’s easy to forget this when we get into relationships. Spend some time reading, or catching up on emails, or just watching something your partner might not be into.
2. Keep Your Online Lives Separate: Social media plays a big part in how we present ourselves to the world, and how we interact with our friends and families. Being in a relationship can mean our online lives also intermingle with our real lives.
Read also: 6 ways the internet has changed dating
3. Plan Your Own Future: Life is full of big decisions. Your decisions around what to do with your life – like where to study, and where to work – may be influenced by a number of factors, including what you can afford. If you are in a long-term relationship, you may need to consider whether or not to factor your partner into the decisions.
4. Try living apart together: One – possibly extreme – solution to the issue of combining a committed relationship with personal independence is the increasingly popular practice of living apart together.
RipplesNigeria …without borders, without fears
We are an online newspaper, very passionate about Nigerian politics, business and their leaders. We dig deeper, without borders and without fears.
Latest posts by Ripples Nigeria (see all)
- COVID-19: Pastor Chris persists with 5G claims, alleges Nigerian govt ordered lockdown to install 5G network (Video) - April 6, 2020
- Buhari approves engagement of 774, 000 Nigerians for public works to cushion effect of COVID-19 - April 6, 2020
- COVID-19: Over 100 Italian medics have died at the frontlines of the crisis —Report - April 6, 2020