Nearly two years after the ill-fated Malaysian flight MH17 crashed, six families of six cabin crew members have sued the airline.
The aggrieved family members are suing the airline for negligence and breach of contract after the plane which was en route from Amsterdam to the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur was shot down by a Russian-made surface-to-air missile in July 2014, killing all 298 passengers and crew.
The suit, filed in the Kuala Lumpur High Court by 11 relatives of the crew, named as defendants Malaysian Airline System (MAS) and Malaysia Airlines Berhad, which replaced MAS in a restructuring exercise last year.
“We are suing them for negligence because they failed to take seriously the warnings of the possible dangers that they may have faced,” the families’ lawyer, Balan Nair, told reporters.
In the lawsuit, which Balan said he believed to be the first filed by families in Malaysia, the relatives allege the airline was in breach of contract for failing to ensure the safety, health and well-being of its crew.
RipplesNigeria …without borders, without fears
Latest posts by Ripples Nigeria (see all)
- INSECURITY: Katsina governor calls for military action against unrepentant bandits - October 18, 2019
- Impeached Kogi Deputy Governor reportedly under house arrest - October 18, 2019
- NSE: GTBank, Flourmill, Fidelity Bank dominate trades as market ends week bearish - October 18, 2019