Cavities hurt like hell and immediate relief can save you from horrendous pain. Poor oral hygiene is a major reason along with other factors that cause decay on the surface of your teeth. The pain can be so intense that it can even prevent you from eating food, especially if it’s something sweet, too cold or hot. Till the time you try and book your appointment with your dentist, the cavity pain can make you miserable, so here are a few tips to manage pain on your own.
1. Keep Salt And Pepper Handy: Salt mixed with pepper is a great remedy for extreme tooth ache as both the ingredients have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. You can make a paste and use it as a tooth paste every day to stay away from the extreme pain.
2. Good Old Clove: Cloves have anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and even anaesthetic properties that can help you cure extreme tooth pain and fight infection. Dab a cotton ball in clove oil and rub it directly on the sore tooth. Or, you can mix a few drops of clove oil in half a glass of water and use it as a mouth wash.
3. Warm Salt Water: A glass of warm salt water is the easiest and the quickest way to ease the pain quickly. It will help decrease the inflammation and and also fight the bacteria that cause infection.
4. Avoid Extreme Temperatures: Brush your teeth with warm water and keep away from extreme temperatures. Cavities can make your tooth extremely sensitive, so try and avoid things like ice cream, hot coffee and other beverages that could cause your tooth even more pain.
5. Take A Cough Drop: Cough drops or lozenges usually contain a small amount of anesthetic (menthol and sometimes benzocaine) which can help to relieve minor tooth pain, too. It is advisable not to chew it but keep it in your mouth for long.
6. Use Vicks Vaporub: Don’t freak out! You don’t have to put it inside your mouth, but apply it on the outside of your cheek where your tooth hurts. Then place a paper towel on your pillow and lie down on one side, this trick can give you a quick and temporary relief.
RipplesNigeria …without borders, without fears
Join the conversation
Support Ripples Nigeria, hold up solutions journalism
Balanced, fearless journalism driven by data comes at huge financial costs.
As a media platform, we hold leadership accountable and will not trade the right to press freedom and free speech for a piece of cake.
If you like what we do, and are ready to uphold solutions journalism, kindly donate to the Ripples Nigeria cause.
Your support would help to ensure that citizens and institutions continue to have free access to credible and reliable information for societal development.
Students suffer as contractors abandon Kano school projects after receiving over N70m
In 2019, to improve the condition of public schools in Kano State, the Federal Government disbursed millions of naira to...
SPECIAL REPORT: World Bank road projects go bad in Enugu, as state govt fails to fulfill promise
Counterpart funded road projects between the world Bank and Enugu State government have started to fail, as the state government...
INVESTIGATION: How N70m road construction created more hardship for Sokoto residents
“To address recurrent accidents on Gagi to Gidan Dilo road and Fakon Idi roads, in Sokoto State, the Federal Government,...
INVESTIGATION: Inside Kwara school where students are used as labour on teachers’ private farms
In this report, SHEREEFDEEN AHMAD uncovered how young students in Kwara State, Nigeria, are being used for labour work on...
INVESTIGATION: How Kano SUBEB awarded contracts to inactive contractors, non-existent schools
In an effort to address issues hindering quality education, the Kano State Government in 2020 awarded N88,406,667.10 for the construction...