Health officials in India are currently having a tough time attending to patients after no less than 72 victims died consuming contaminated liquor.
Reports say the incident which left several others lying in the hospital after falling sick happened when they drank illegally-brewed liquor containing toxic methanol.
Officials say the incident occurred in several villages in northern India with majority of the deaths reported from the village of Balpur in Uttarakhand.
A break down of the tragedy reveals that 64 deaths were reported on Saturday from Saharanpur and Haridwar – adjoining districts of Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand states respectively.
Reports say eight more deaths were reported in another tragedy blamed on tainted liquor in Kushinagar district, also in Uttar Pradesh, regional.
In Saharanpur district, the death toll climbed from 16 to 36, top administrative official Alok Pandey told dpa by phone on Saturday.