The ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) has blamed the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for a number of Nigerians trapped in multidimensional poverty in the country.
The APC Director of Publicity, Bala Ibrahim, who stated this during a Channels Television Programme on Monday, argued that the ruling party should be exonorated from the development.
The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) had in the past weeks revealed that no fewer than 133 million people representing 63 per cent of Nigerians are living in multidimensional poverty.
It disclosed that 65 per cent of the poor people lived in the north, while the remaining 35 per cent were in the south.
This damning statistics had elicited barrage of concerns from Nigerians slamming the Buhari-led administration for poor performance.
The statistics, according to Ibrahim, was a result of the destructive policies made by the major opposition during its almost two-decade reign in the country.
He added that the Buhari-led administration should however be commended for producing more millionaire rice farmers since its inception in 2015.
He said: “I am happy the NBS did not say it was the APC that impoverished Nigerians. This poverty that has taken control of Nigeria is as a result of the misrule of the PDP for 16 years.
“The APC, since it came into power, has been doing everything to uplift the standard of living, to take people to the place of their ambitions, and it promised to provide succour, and it is doing so.”
Join the conversation
Support Ripples Nigeria, hold up solutions journalism
Balanced, fearless journalism driven by data comes at huge financial costs.
As a media platform, we hold leadership accountable and will not trade the right to press freedom and free speech for a piece of cake.
If you like what we do, and are ready to uphold solutions journalism, kindly donate to the Ripples Nigeria cause.
Your support would help to ensure that citizens and institutions continue to have free access to credible and reliable information for societal development.
INVESTIGATION: 4 yrs after completion, Kwara PHC facility inactive, rural dwellers in pains
In the middle of the night sometime in September 2019, Fatimah Ballah struggled with severe pains as she tries to...
INVESTIGATION: How Oyo State, contractors spent N1.1bn on water projects, but communities don’t have a drop
Multimillion naira water projects largely initiated by the late Abiola Ajimobi-led state government in Oyo State to benefit over 40...
INVESTIGATION: In Cross River, civil servants retire into poverty as govt looks away, squanders funds on frivolities
Thousands of civil servants in Cross River State struggle to stay alive as they are denied their gratuities and monthly...
Students suffer as contractors abandon Kano school projects after receiving over N70m
In 2019, to improve the condition of public schools in Kano State, the Federal Government disbursed millions of naira to...
SPECIAL REPORT: World Bank road projects go bad in Enugu, as state govt fails to fulfill promise
Counterpart funded road projects between the world Bank and Enugu State government have started to fail, as the state government...