The Nigerian Army late Friday night backtracked from its decision to suspend UNICEF activities in the North East of Nigeria ravaged by the activities of the Boko Haram sect.
The Army had on Friday, made an announcement suspending the activities of UNICEF in the North East of the country over claims that the UN agency was engaging in acts that encourage terrorism in the embattled region.
The announcement was made in a statement signed by the Army deputy Director Public Relations, Colonel Onyema Nwachukwu.
Apparently backtracking from its earlier decision, the Army said in its second statement also signed by Nwachukwu, that it changed its decision on UNICEF after the intervention of “concerned Nigerians.”
“Sequel to intervention by well meaning and concerned Nigerians over the recent suspension of UNICEF, the Theatre Command Operation LAFIYA DOLE convened and held an emergency meeting with representatives of UNICEF this evening.
“During the meeting, the Theatre Command admonished the representatives of the organization to desist from activities inimical to Nigeria’s national security and capable of undermining ongoing fight against terrorism and insurgency.
“The Command also urged UNICEF representatives to ensure they share information with relevant authorities whenever induction or training of new staff is being conducted in the theatre.
“Consequently, after extensive deliberations on the need to seek modalities to work harmoniously with the security agencies in the theatre of operation, the Theatre Command has henceforth lifted the three months suspension earlier imposed on UNICEF activities in North Eastern Nigeria,” Nwachukwu said.
Amnesty International and many Nigerians had condemned the initial decision of the Nigerian Army on UNICEF.
Join the conversation
INVESTIGATION… Ten years after, communities count losses as AfDB, Cross River govt abandon road project
Ten years after the Cross River State government and African Development Bank (AFDB) jointly awarded the Yahe-Wanokom-Wanikade-Benue border road for...
INVESTIGATION….N.3bn down the drain: Why water projects for Enugu communities don’t work
In this concluding part, ARINZE CHIJIOKE talks about some of the projects that are serving the people and how various WASH programmes have failed to tackle...
INVESTIGATION…PARKVIEW ESTATE: Exclusive images of how billionaire property developer incurred Lagos govt‘s anger
Many have seen the demolished building, but not many know the circumstances that led to the teardown of the about...
INVESTIGATION… N.3bn down the drain, as Enugu communities suffer from dry taps
In November 2020, three organizations and the Enugu State government celebrated the completion of N300 million worth of projects that were expected...
INVESTIGATION… How herdsmen crisis compounds woes of already deprived Ogun communities
Earlier in January, the Nigerian media space was awash with reports of violence between herders and farmers across the country....