The Academic Staff Union of Universities has rejected the offer given by the federal government to call off the ongoing strike by the university lecturers.
After the seventh meeting between the two parties on Tuesday, the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige said there was evidence by the office of the Accountant-General and the Ministry of Finance indicating that N15.4 billion had been released to public universities.
He also noted that President Muhammadu Buhari had approved N20 billion to offset earned allowances from 2009 to 2012.
But a feedback from the University lecturers shows a rejection in the offer put before them by the government while they listed their new conditions.
While speaking to PREMIUM TIMES on Saturday, the President of ASUU, Mr Biodun Ogunyemi insisted that the government release at least a tranche of N220 billion spread over four quarters of 2019.
He said the government had only offered what he described as “tokenism with respect to outstanding revitalization fund of N1.1 trillion.”
He added that ASUU members demanded that the proposed amount by the government must not be less than the amount released the last time.
Ogunyemi also demanded that government present evidence of the incorporation of these promises in the 2019 budget while giving a timeline to the payment of the balance of the arrears.
Mr Ogunyemi said; “Our members have rejected tokenism with respect to outstanding revitalization fund of N1.1 trillion. They are insisting that government should release at least one tranche of N220 billion spread over four quarters of 2019.
“On earned academic allowances, our members said government’s proposed amount out of the verified balance should not be less than the total amount released last time, while evidence of mainstreaming the allowances into the 2019 budget should be shown. Also, timeline should be attached to payment of the balance of the arrears.
“The revitalization fund and earned academic allowances are the two critical areas on which our members feel strongly about. They expect necessary adjustments on the part of government before they can reconsider their decision on the ongoing strike action
- BREAKING: Nigeria records 453 fresh cases of COVID-19 as total hits 47,743; death toll now 956 - August 13, 2020
- Police arrests 67 IPOB members in Imo - August 13, 2020
- Kashamu: The Man Who Cheated Justice! - August 12, 2020