The unrest in troubled Burundi which began in April when President Pierre Nkurunziza announced he would seek a third term in office and which also saw him survive a coup attempt in May, has made the African Union (AU) to announce a plan to send 5,000 peacekeepers to protect civilians in Burundi, even without the government’s consent.
The AU said it would not allow genocide to take place in Burundi and proposed a peacekeeping plan which was approved by the AU’s Peace and Security Council but the proposal will need to get the backing of the UN.
However, the proposal by AU is considered an affront by Burundi officials who say that if the AU sent troops without government’s consent, it would consider the move “an attack” on it.
According to government official Philippe Nzobonariba who spoke to the BBC Great Lakes service, he said “the legal process should be followed.” He also suggested that a peacekeeping force would be better employed in Rwanda.
It could be recalled that Burundi has previously accused its neighbour of training rebels seeking to destabilise the country.
RipplesNigeria …without borders, without fears
Latest posts by Ripples Nigeria (see all)
- COVID-19: Buhari’s daughter completes isolation, reunites with family - April 2, 2020
- Bauchi govt relaxes COVID-19 lockdown measures - April 2, 2020
- COVID-19: Atiku’s son speaks from treatment centre, says ‘fake news is very bad’ - April 2, 2020