Attacks by bandits from January to July this year left over 1,460 Nigerians dead, Nigerian Government has revealed.
The Permanent Secretary, Special Services, Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (OSGF), Ms Amina Shamaki, made this revelation on Thursday.
Shamaki, who made the disclosure at the opening of Federal and States Security Administrators’ meeting in Birnin Kebbi, said the death came as a result of about 330 attacks launched by bandits in the country.
Noting that the North West had more bandit attacks, she said that the growing insecurity situation in the zone, supposed to be one of the most peaceful zones in the country, remained a source of concern to all.
Shamaki said, “From January to July, 2019, about 330 attacks were recorded, resulting to the death of about 1,460 civilians.
“However, between June and July, 2019, the number of incidents declined, especially in Zamfara State, that had been the epicentre of armed banditry.”
According to her, the decrease in bandits attacks recently came as a result of both kinetic and non-kinetic measures put in place by government.
She said, “The dialogue initiated by the current Zamfara State governor, Alhaji Bello Matawalle, in particular, and the other governors in the zone is worthy of commendation and should be adopted by states with similar security challenges.
“Application of the carrot and stick approach is an effective strategy that enables criminals wiling to embrace peace to do so while repentant ones are identified and isolated for appropriate actions by the security agencies.”
She stressed on the need for vigilance and close monitoring of the repentant bandits by the security agencies to make sure they do not go back to the trenches.