United Nations, Amnesty International, and Action Against Hunger have all condemned the execution of the four abducted humanitarian workers by Boko Haram.
The victims, who were members of the Action Against Hunger team working in the region, had been in captivity since abducted in July by the terror group.
In a statement on Saturday, UN Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Mr Edward Kallon, sympathised with the families of the slain workers.
He said, “I am deeply saddened and outraged by the news of the tragic killing of four aid workers who were held captive by armed groups for almost five months.
“My thoughts go to their families, friends and colleagues who are enduring unspeakable pain and hardship.”
Kallon, however, called for the immediate release of Grace Taku, the member of the team still held by the insurgents.
On his part, Director of Amnesty International Nigeria, Osai Ojigho, said, “With yet another horrific killing of humanitarian workers, Islamic State’s West Africa Province has again demonstrated its brazen disregard for life.
“The four slain aid workers were providing desperately-needed humanitarian services to people affected by the conflict in the North-East of Nigeria.
“The killing is a war crime. Under international humanitarian law, all aid workers must be protected from attack.
“ISWAP must immediately and unconditionally release the remaining aid workers.”
Calling for the release of other aid workers still in captivity, Action Against Hunger in a statement on Friday said, “Action Against Hunger extends its deepest sympathies to their loved ones and our colleagues in Nigeria.
“Action Against Hunger condemns these latest killings in the strongest terms and calls for the release of its staff member, Grace, who remains in captivity.
“Action Against Hunger states categorically that every attack against humanitarian workers ultimately impacts vulnerable civilians.”
- BREAKING: 348 new cases of COVID-19 as Nigeria’s total passes 11000 to 11166; death toll rises to 315 - June 4, 2020
- ‘Bandits have betrayed our trust’, we’re pulling out of the ‘peace agreement’ —Katsina Gov - June 3, 2020
- INTERPOL grants EFCC access to its intelligence-sharing system that connects 194 countries - June 3, 2020