Suspected Boko Haram terrorists, late Friday, invaded the military base in Magumeri, Borno State, killing five soldiers.
A statement by its spokesman, Colonel Ezindu Idima, revealed that the insurgents came in their numbers to infiltrate Magumeri in order to loot food items and other valuables.
Speaking on the recent attack, Colonel Idima said the troops with superior firepower decimated scores of the insurgents and many escaped with gunshot wounds.
Idima added that a pursuit and clearance operation has been sustained to deal with the remaining fleeing gunmen.
“During the encounter, the terrorists suffered heavy losses/ casualty. Unfortunately, five soldiers paid the supreme price. Troops have continued to intensify vigilance and a high level of alertness to deny the bandits freedom of action.”
READ ALSO: ADAMAWA: Boko Haram kills 26, burns houses
The army spokesman also stated that the Commander Sector 3 Operation LAFIYA DOLE Major General Olufemi Akinjobi has on behalf of the Chief of Army Staff commended the troops for their gallantry, resilience, and patriotism.
“He charged them to maintain the momentum and the successes achieved so far to ensure the final defeat of the terrorists,” Colonel Idima stated.
Recall that on 27 April, there was an attack on another army base at Mararaba Kimba in Sabon Gari along Biu, Damboa Local Government Area of Borno.
Colonel Ado Isa, Deputy Director, Public Relations, Theatre Command, Operation Lafiya Dole had in a statement claimed that insurgents, who were earlier bombarded and chased out of their enclaves were left with depleted number of fighters and supplies.
He said “They are presently feeling the colossal storm of the joint operations and are now looking for ways to sneak into town for food supplies, logistics and most importantly weapons.
“In their desperate and fruitless efforts, they resolved in springing surprise attacks on soft targets, smaller units, including civilian settlement with market advantage within the Theatre.
“It is in this regard, troops of 254 Task Force Battalion at Forward Operation Base (FOB) Kimba while on clearance operation along Sabon Gari in 25 Task Force Brigade Area of Operations – Damboa, came in contact with the terrorists on 27 April, 2019,” he explained.
Latest posts by Ripples Nigeria (see all)
- Appropriation of Africa into debt before and after the sixties - January 23, 2020
- Nigeria and Ndi-Igbo fifty years after the civil war - January 23, 2020
- EFCC secures interim forfeiture order for Army General’s $376,120 - January 23, 2020