Eight men who were plotting to launch a series of bomb attacks during the last staged Rio 2016 Olympics in Brazil have been served jail sentences by a judge in Parana state.
The convicts, who are all Brazilian nationals were arrested shortly before the beginning of the Games, in August, after the FBI alerted Brazilian authorities about their bomb plot.
Judge Marcos Josegrei da Silva slammed the ringleader, Leonid El Kadre de Melow with a prison sentence of 15 years, while the other men have been jailed for five to six years. All say they will appeal.
According to reports, the eight men were not IS members but had tried to make contact with the group, officials said.
The group had been sharing extremist material online and via messaging apps pledging alliance to IS, said judge Marcos Josegrei da Silva, in Parana state.
El Kadre de Melo was “without a shadow of a doubt the person who took over the role of leader amongst the accused,” Mr Silva wrote in his ruling.
RipplesNigeria ….without borders, without fears
Latest posts by Ripples Nigeria (see all)
- 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers Thursday morning, December 12,2019 - December 12, 2019
- UK holds general election, 3rd in 5 years - December 12, 2019
- NASS adopts Reps version of Finance Bill seeking to increase taxes - December 12, 2019