President Muhammadu Buhari Sunday ordered a total restriction of movement in Lagos and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) for an initial period of 14 days following the growing cases of COVID-19 pandemic the country.
The president, who disclosed this in a nationwide broadcast on the COVID-19 pandemic, said the restriction also applied to Ogun State due to its close proximity to Lagos and the high traffic between the two states.
The directive takes effect on Monday.
However, President Buhari said the order did not apply to hospitals and all related medical establishments as well as organizations in healthcare-related manufacturing and distribution outlets.
Also exempted from the directive were commercial establishments such as food processing, distribution, and retail companies, petroleum distribution and retail entities, power generation, transmission and distribution companies; and private security companies.
He said the decision was taken based on the advice of the Federal Ministry of Health and the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), two agencies of government that had been leading the country’s quest to halt the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic among Nigerians.
The President said:
“All citizens in these areas are to stay in their homes. Travel to or from other states should be postponed. All businesses and offices within these locations should be fully closed during this period.
“ The Governors of Lagos and Ogun States, as well as the Minister of the FCT, have been notified. Furthermore, heads of security and intelligence agencies have also been briefed.
“We will use this containment period to identify, trace and isolate all individuals that have come into contact with confirmed cases. We will ensure the treatment of confirmed cases while restricting further spread to other States.
“This order does not apply to hospitals and all related medical establishments as well as organizations in health care-related manufacturing and distribution.”
- R*APE: Monarch urges Nigerian govt to legalise stun gun, pepper spray for women - June 7, 2020
- Nigerian govt dismisses as fake reports of planned absorption of N-POWER beneficiaries into civil service - June 7, 2020
- BREAKING: 389 new cases of COVID-19 take Nigeria’s total to 12,233; death toll now 342 - June 7, 2020