The Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Boris Johnson has revealed that the British government made contingency plans for his likely death as his condition deteriorated while battling COVID-19 in hospital last month.
Johnson who revealed this in an interview with The Sun newspaper on Sunday, said that doctors gave him “litres and litres of oxygen” to keep him alive from the deadly pangs of COVID-19.
“They had a strategy to deal with a ‘death of Stalin’-type scenario,” Johnson told The Sun. “It was a tough old moment; I won’t deny it.”
He added: “I was not in particularly brilliant shape, and I was aware there were contingency plans in place.”
“The doctors had all sorts of arrangements for what to do if things went badly wrong,” Johnson said of his COVID-19 battle. “The bloody indicators kept going in the wrong direction.”
He said doctors discussed invasive ventilation.
“The bad moment came when it was 50-50 whether they were going to have to put a tube down my windpipe,” he said.
“That was when it got a bit … they were starting to think about how to handle it presentationally.”
Johnson described feeling “frustrated” as his health worsened and became emotional as he described the ordeal, according to The Sun.
He put down his recovery to “wonderful, wonderful nursing”, adding: “it was an extraordinary thing”.
Johnson, 55, returned to work on Monday, a month after testing positive for COVID-19, the respiratory illness caused by the new coronavirus.
- FCMB’s 9-month profit up by 29%, boosted by higher turnover - November 30, 2020
- AXA Mansard, Cutix, FCMB, Sovereign Trust top Ripples Nigeria Stocks Watchlist - November 30, 2020
- UN says 110 killed by Boko Haram in Borno villages - November 30, 2020