Atiku Abubakar, presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), says President Muhammadu Buhari lied by claiming he will not allow the use of public funds for election campaign.
The president had on Wednesday said he would not allow the diversion of public funds to the All Progressives Congress (APC) campaign.
But in a statement issued on his behalf by Paul Ibe, his spokesman, Abubakar cited alleged instances where the federal ministry of information and culture has been producing “campaign materials” for the president and the APC.
“In negation of the Constitution and the Electoral Act 2010 as amended, the Buhari administration and the APC has taken to the illegal deployment of state resources to its advantage for the election,” the statement issued on Thursday read.
“We wish to remind President Buhari and the APC that the use of state videos released by the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture is illegal under the Electoral Act 2010 as amended.
“The media is awash with advertisements with the hashtag #PMBDIDIT and signed by the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture and referencing so-called achievements of the APC administration in the states of Abia, Kwara, Lagos, Ebonyi, Delta and Kano, among others.
“These are without doubt 2019 presidential campaign materials produced by the Ministry of Information and Culture using state resources and apparatuses to benefit President Buhari.”
Atiku argued that the videos produced by the federal ministry of information violate section 100 of the electoral act, 2010.
The section reads: “A candidate and his party shall campaign for the elections in accordance with such rules and regulations as may be determined by the Commission. (2) State apparatus including the media shal l n ot be employed to the advantage or disadvantage of any political party or candidate at any election.”
The PDP candidate demanded that “INEC issues an immediate cease and desist order to both the ministry of information and culture and to the broadcast channels running it”.
Join the conversation
INVESTIGATION… Ten years after, communities count losses as AfDB, Cross River govt abandon road project
Ten years after the Cross River State government and African Development Bank (AFDB) jointly awarded the Yahe-Wanokom-Wanikade-Benue border road for...
INVESTIGATION….N.3bn down the drain: Why water projects for Enugu communities don’t work
In this concluding part, ARINZE CHIJIOKE talks about some of the projects that are serving the people and how various WASH programmes have failed to tackle...
INVESTIGATION…PARKVIEW ESTATE: Exclusive images of how billionaire property developer incurred Lagos govt‘s anger
Many have seen the demolished building, but not many know the circumstances that led to the teardown of the about...
INVESTIGATION… N.3bn down the drain, as Enugu communities suffer from dry taps
In November 2020, three organizations and the Enugu State government celebrated the completion of N300 million worth of projects that were expected...
INVESTIGATION… How herdsmen crisis compounds woes of already deprived Ogun communities
Earlier in January, the Nigerian media space was awash with reports of violence between herders and farmers across the country....