The application by the embattled Senate President, Bukola Saraki, to have charges against him quashed by the Code of Conduct Tribunal, was Thursday, dismissed by the tribunal, insisting that the trial must go on.
It would be recalled that Kanu Agabi, SAN, representing Saraki, had argued that the 13-count charge was invalid procedurally because the Code of Conduct Bureau which filed the charges, failed to allow Mr. Saraki explain discrepancies in his assets declaration forms as required by law.
However, the chairman of the tribunal, Danladi Umar, ruled that no law was breached as the Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act, 1989, allows the Senate President to raise his clarifications at the level of the tribunal.
According to the judge, the law allows the CCB to recieve complaints of breach of the Act and forward it to the Tribunal, as long as the individual involved would be allowed to give a statement affirming or denying the said misconduct.
The judge further held that Section 174 of the Constitution also empowered the Attorney General of the Federation the right to file criminal proceedings, adding that he does not owe any explanations to any one on how to go about it.
He consequently ordered that the trial continues.
It would be recalled that the Senate had earlier lost a similar bid to stop his trial, with the Supreme Court ordering that the trial should continue before the CCT.
RipplesNigeria …without borders, without fears
Latest posts by Ripples Nigeria (see all)
- 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers Thursday morning, January 23, 2020 - January 23, 2020
- Dangote Cement tows Apple, Microsoft path; gets approval to buy back 10% of its shares - January 23, 2020
- As S’Court affirms Ortom’s election, APC says Benue people have missed chance to witness true transformation - January 23, 2020