There is confusion over the list of over 50 high-profile Nigerians placed on a travel ban by the Federal Government last Saturday as security agencies, including the Nigeria Immigration Service and Nigeria Customs Service have said the list is not with them.
However, the Presidency insisted on Friday that the travel ban list had been sent to the various security agencies through the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN).
President Muhammadu Buhari had last Saturday announced that security agencies, including the NIS, had placed over 50 high-profile Nigerians on a watch list and restricted them from leaving the country, pending the determination of their corruption cases with the various security agencies.
However, the NIS spokesman, James Sunday, told Saturday PUNCH on Friday that the Immigration had not received any list detailing names of corrupt persons, adding that the service would enforce the travel ban whenever it got such list and directive.
The PUNCH, October 20, 2018
RipplesNigeria… without borders, without fears
Join the conversation
Support Ripples Nigeria, hold up solutions journalism
Balanced, fearless journalism driven by data comes at huge financial costs.
As a media platform, we hold leadership accountable and will not trade the right to press freedom and free speech for a piece of cake.
If you like what we do, and are ready to uphold solutions journalism, kindly donate to the Ripples Nigeria cause.
Your support would help to ensure that citizens and institutions continue to have free access to credible and reliable information for societal development.
SPECIAL REPORT: Lack of legal provisions, cultural sentiments fueling marital r*pe in Nigeria
By Arinze Chijioke In the early days of Sandra Izuckukwu’s marriage in 2019, her husband, Sunday Izuchukwu, did everything she...
INVESTIGATION… LIVES ON THE LINE (IV): Surviving in a dangerous media environment
This investigation is on the unresolved killing of three Nigerian journalists while on assignments between 2019 and 2020. For six...
INVESTIGATION… LIVES ON THE LINE (III): Precious Owolabi was killed covering a protest
This investigation is on the unresolved killing of three Nigerian journalists while on assignments between 2019-2020. For six months, Nigerian...
INVESTIGATION… LIVES ON THE LINE (II): Alex Ogbu was telling a story but became the story
This four-part series investigation is on the unresolved killing of three Nigerian journalists while on assignments between 2019 and 2020....
SPECIAL REPORT… TELECOMS BLACKOUT: Nigeria’s latest tactic against banditry grounds businesses, forcing residents beyond borders
The fight against notorious bandits raining terror and kidnapping students in Northwest Nigeria took a new dimension in September as...