The government of Cameroon has reacted to the decision by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) to withdraw the country from hosting the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON).
The continental football body stripped the Central African country of the right to host the tournament at an Extraordinary Executive Committee meeting in Accra, Ghana last Friday.
The committee cited security and a general slow pace of work as reasons for its decision, but the Cameroonian government says the withdrawal is “unfair” and a “blatant injustice.”
“In the face of this blatant injustice, the government of the Republic urges the people of Cameroon to remain calm and not to indulge to futile arguments,” Cameroon’s Minister of Communication, Issa Tchiroma Bakary told BBC Sport.
“Cameroon has put in a creditable performance. It shall prove it to the entire world by completing with this same determination and on time the construction of this modern infrastructure belonging to the Cameroonian people.
“This surprising decision for more than one reason is certainly unfair with regard to the huge investment made by our country which has led to outstanding, modern infrastructure as witnessed by all,” Mr Bakary added.
For many, CAF’s decision did not have come as a surprise, as the Cameroon’s hosting of the showpiece had been in jeopardy since the decision to increase the tournament from 16 to 24 teams.
Reeling out the decision on Friday, CAF added that countries that are interested in hosting the competition have until the end of December to make their interests known, and thereafter a decision will be made.
It also mentioned that “Cameroon remains a serious candidate to organise a future edition.”
RipplesNigeria… without borders, without fears
Join the conversation
INVESTIGATION… Ten years after, communities count losses as AfDB, Cross River govt abandon road project
Ten years after the Cross River State government and African Development Bank (AFDB) jointly awarded the Yahe-Wanokom-Wanikade-Benue border road for...
INVESTIGATION….N.3bn down the drain: Why water projects for Enugu communities don’t work
In this concluding part, ARINZE CHIJIOKE talks about some of the projects that are serving the people and how various WASH programmes have failed to tackle...
INVESTIGATION…PARKVIEW ESTATE: Exclusive images of how billionaire property developer incurred Lagos govt‘s anger
Many have seen the demolished building, but not many know the circumstances that led to the teardown of the about...
INVESTIGATION… N.3bn down the drain, as Enugu communities suffer from dry taps
In November 2020, three organizations and the Enugu State government celebrated the completion of N300 million worth of projects that were expected...
INVESTIGATION… How herdsmen crisis compounds woes of already deprived Ogun communities
Earlier in January, the Nigerian media space was awash with reports of violence between herders and farmers across the country....