The government of South Korea and the United States are furious about the defiant government of North Korea which again launched another missile that appeared to have exploded on Wednesday just after it was launched.
Reports say the missile was launched on North Korea’s east coast, the same place from where it launched several intermediate-range missiles last year, all but one of which failed.
“U.S. Pacific Command detected what we assess was a failed North Korean missile launch attempt … in the vicinity of Kalma,” Commander Dave Benham, a spokesman for U.S. Pacific Command, said in a statement, referring to an air field in Wonsan.
“A missile appears to have exploded within seconds of launch,” Benham said, adding that work was being carried out on a more detailed assessment.
A South Korean military official told Reuters the missile appeared to have exploded just after it was launched.
“It may have exploded right after it took off from a launch pad,” said military official, who declined to be identified.
The failed missile launch by North Korea near the city of Wonsan is the latest in a series of weapons tests by the nuclear-armed state led by Kim Jong Un that has alarmed the region.
Recall that three days after the US warned that it would consider military action against North Korea if it was provoked, Pyongyang replied by stating that it is not frightened by US threats of possible pre-emptive military action to halt its nuclear and missile build-up.
Pyongyang made the comments through its Foreign Ministry who condemned US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s recent talk of tougher sanctions, more pressure, and possible military action against North Korea.
RipplesNigeria ….without borders, without fears
- IROKOtv CEO, wife test positive for COVID-19 - October 28, 2020
- FG, ASUU meet again on varsity strike - October 28, 2020
- Ogun govt orders full reopening of religious centres, hotels, others - October 28, 2020