Former President Goodluck Jonathan has dismissed the reported statement by Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, claiming he benefited illicitly from the pension fund under Abdulrasheed Maina’s supervision, saying it was all “a blatant lie”.
He said there was no truth to the reports that he was paid N5 billion monthly from the pension fund.
His media adviser, Ikechukwu Eze, stated this in Abuja on Saturday while reacting to the statement credited to Malami as published in a national newspaper last week.
Malami was said to have told a Senate ad-hoc committee that an “ex-president was taking N5bn monthly from the Pension Fund.”
Eze dismissed the claim as “a blatant lie hurriedly cooked up to divert the attention of the general public from the raging ‘Mainagate’ and other embarrassing scandals.”
He added, “We believe that the story was concocted as part of the unfolding grand design (by the Buhari administration) to always dodge responsibility and blame every evil act taking place in the present dispensation on the past (Jonathan) administration.
“In the first place, we do not believe that Malami made such a claim because he is in a position to know that it is simply not true.”
RipplesNigeria… without borders, without fears
- Ondo Assembly suspends another lawmaker - August 4, 2020
- INSECURITY: Buhari mulling overhaul of security architecture —NSA - August 4, 2020
- Nigerian govt amends broadcasting code, raises hate speech fine to N5m - August 4, 2020