Connect with us

International

DR CONGO: 14 victims feared killed after collapse of illegal gold mine

Published

on

DR CONGO: 14 victims feared killed after collapse of illegal gold mine

The collapse of an illegal gold mine in the town of Kampene, Democratic Republic of Congo has left no fewer than 14 people killed.

According to civil society campaigner Justin Kyanga Asumani the incident happened at about 14:00 local time (13:00 GMT) at the illegal mine in the province of Maniema.

He said “dozens of people, including children and pregnant women” were working on the site when the mine collapsed.

READ ALSO: UN hands Gabon $150m to fight deforestation

Reacting to the incident, Government minister Steve Mbikayi said a further three people had been taken to hospital with serious injuries.

Mr Mbikayi said in a tweet that the death toll from Wednesday’s accident was provisional.

Reports say search efforts are continuing.

Accidents are common in DR Congo’s informal mining sector which has poor safety standards.

Join the conversation

Opinions

Support Ripples Nigeria, hold up solutions journalism

Balanced, fearless journalism driven by data comes at huge financial costs.

As a media platform, we hold leadership accountable and will not trade the right to press freedom and free speech for a piece of cake.

If you like what we do, and are ready to uphold solutions journalism, kindly donate to the Ripples Nigeria cause.

Your support would help to ensure that citizens and institutions continue to have free access to credible and reliable information for societal development.

Donate Now

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

16 − three =