Health authorities in the Democratic Republic of Congo are soon to begin a national Ebola vaccination campaign following the death of two people who died after contracting the virus in North Kivu province.
The decision to begin the national inoculation exercise came after a 60-year-old female farmer died of Ebola on Wednesday; six days after a 42-year-old woman had died in hospital of the virus near the city of Butembo.
Eugene Nzanzu Syalita, the province’s health minister, told the BBC in an interview on Thursday that the national inoculating exercise will begin with people in Masoya, a heath zone near Butembo.
READ ALSO: UK bans flights from Tanzania, DR Congo
“In total he said 161 people in that area had been traced who had had contact with the first patient,” she said.
Reports say samples are being studied in the capital, Kinshasa, to assess whether the cases are a new strain of the virus which was first discovered in DR Congo in 1976 and the country has suffered 11 outbreaks in total over the last four decades.
Join the conversation
Support Ripples Nigeria, hold up solutions journalism
Balanced, fearless journalism driven by data comes at huge financial costs.
As a media platform, we hold leadership accountable and will not trade the right to press freedom and free speech for a piece of cake.
If you like what we do, and are ready to uphold solutions journalism, kindly donate to the Ripples Nigeria cause.
Your support would help to ensure that citizens and institutions continue to have free access to credible and reliable information for societal development.
SPECIAL REPORT: Lack of legal provisions, cultural sentiments fueling marital r*pe in Nigeria
By Arinze Chijioke In the early days of Sandra Izuckukwu’s marriage in 2019, her husband, Sunday Izuchukwu, did everything she...
INVESTIGATION… LIVES ON THE LINE (IV): Surviving in a dangerous media environment
This investigation is on the unresolved killing of three Nigerian journalists while on assignments between 2019 and 2020. For six...
INVESTIGATION… LIVES ON THE LINE (III): Precious Owolabi was killed covering a protest
This investigation is on the unresolved killing of three Nigerian journalists while on assignments between 2019-2020. For six months, Nigerian...
INVESTIGATION… LIVES ON THE LINE (II): Alex Ogbu was telling a story but became the story
This four-part series investigation is on the unresolved killing of three Nigerian journalists while on assignments between 2019 and 2020....
SPECIAL REPORT… TELECOMS BLACKOUT: Nigeria’s latest tactic against banditry grounds businesses, forcing residents beyond borders
The fight against notorious bandits raining terror and kidnapping students in Northwest Nigeria took a new dimension in September as...