Human rights lawyer, Femi Falana (SAN), has debunked claims by the Department of State Services (DSS) that it is still detaining the co-convener of #RevolutionNow protest, Omoyele Sowore because no one came forward “to take delivery of him.”
Falana, in a statement on Friday night, said his Chambers had made representation to the DSS for Sowore’s release but the secret police failed to comply with order of the court.
Sowore, who was granted bail under stringent conditions which he had managed to meet, had been in detention since August after he was arrested for organising protests tagged #RevolutionNow.
Falana said in the statement: “On 6/11/19 the bailiff of the Federal High Court wanted to serve the reproduction warrants issued by the court on the Director-General of the State Security Service (SSS) . But the SSS asked the Bailiff to call back at 10.00 am on 7/11/19. The bailiff did and was able to serve the reproduction warrants on the DG of the SSS.
“Upon acknowledging the service of the reproduction warrants the SSS assured the bailliff and five lawyers from the defence team that our clients would be released yesterday. But the SSS decided not to release our clients to our lawyers who waited in vain in the agency’s headquarters for not less than four hours.
“When Sowore said that he would not make a statement without first consulting with me the sss management called me on phone on 6/8/19.
“Assuming the sss had wanted to release our clients since yesterday the management would have contacted me.
“It is pertinent to point out that the meaning of reproduction warrant issued by a trial court is that the defendants be produced for the purpose of releasing them having met their bail conditions.
“In the instant case, the federal high court did not order the sss to hand over Messrs Sowore and Bakare to any person but to produce them for the purpose of releasing them having met the suffocating bail conditions imposed on them by the trial court.
“Even though the SSS disobeyed the order of the Honourable Justice Taiwo for the release of Mr. Sowore on 24/9/19 it has turned round to announce its readiness to comply with the order of the Honourable Justice Ifeoma Ojukwu for the release of Sowore and Bakare from illegal custody.
“While thanking the Nigerian people for demanding for unconditional compliance with the orders of the federal high court we have directed two lawyers from our law firm to contact the management of the SSS for the release of our clients at 10.00 am on 9/11/19. Meanwhile, we appeal to Sowore to call off his hunger strike forthwith.”
Latest posts by Ripples Nigeria (see all)
- Premium Times journalist, Abdulkareem Haruna, reportedly kidnapped - November 12, 2019
- SOWORE: DSS operatives disperse protesters with gunshots, pepper spray in Abuja - November 12, 2019
- Ahead of Bayelsa poll, court disqualifies APC’s deputy governorship candidate for providing false information to INEC - November 12, 2019