A N25 billion fraud suit filed against former Gombe State Governor, Danjuma Goje, by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has been taken over by the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF).
During a hearing on Friday, EFCC withdrew from the case, which has been on for close to eight years, and handed over to the office of the AGF for continuation.
EFCC had in 2012, alleged that Goje conspired to defraud the state of about N25 billion via illegal acts, contrary to, and punishable under sections 15, 16, 17, 18 and 19 of the Money Laundering (Prohibition Act) 2011 as amended.
However, during an emergency hearing before Justice Quadiri, the EFCC Counsel, Wahab Shittu, told the court that the agency was withdrawing from the case and handing it over the office of the Attorney-General for continuation.
“My Lord, this case was earlier adjourned for June 20 for continuation of hearing, but then we are here today on the latest development on the matter.
“We as EFCC counsels are withdrawing from the matter and handing it over to the office of the Attorney-General for continuation with the prosecution.
“As you can see, in court today is a State Counsel from the AG’F’s office to formally take over this case from us,“ Shittu declared.
Responding, Paul Erokoro (SAN), did not object to the EFCC withdrawal and handing over of the case to the Attorney-General.
“My Lord we not objecting to the anti-graft withdrawal and handing over the prosecution to the AG’s office,” Erokoro said.
Counsel from the office of the attorney general, Pius Asika, however, announced his appearance for the case.
Asika then applied for an adjournment to enable him prepare for the case proper “having come into the matter today (Friday).
Justice Quadiri then adjourned to the case to June 21, 2019 for continuation of hearing.
Join the conversation
INVESTIGATION… Ten years after, communities count losses as AfDB, Cross River govt abandon road project
Ten years after the Cross River State government and African Development Bank (AFDB) jointly awarded the Yahe-Wanokom-Wanikade-Benue border road for...
INVESTIGATION….N.3bn down the drain: Why water projects for Enugu communities don’t work
In this concluding part, ARINZE CHIJIOKE talks about some of the projects that are serving the people and how various WASH programmes have failed to tackle...
INVESTIGATION…PARKVIEW ESTATE: Exclusive images of how billionaire property developer incurred Lagos govt‘s anger
Many have seen the demolished building, but not many know the circumstances that led to the teardown of the about...
INVESTIGATION… N.3bn down the drain, as Enugu communities suffer from dry taps
In November 2020, three organizations and the Enugu State government celebrated the completion of N300 million worth of projects that were expected...
INVESTIGATION… How herdsmen crisis compounds woes of already deprived Ogun communities
Earlier in January, the Nigerian media space was awash with reports of violence between herders and farmers across the country....