The European Union, United Kingdom, and three other nations on Saturday expressed disappointment over the suspension of Twitter’s operations in Nigeria.
In a joint statement, the UK, Canada, Republic of Ireland, Norway and the EU said the suspension of Twitter would hinder access to information and hamper businesses in Nigeria.
They said the country would be more secure through information sharing, adding that banning systems of expression is not the way to go.
The Federal Government had on Friday suspended Twitter’s operations in Nigeria.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, who announced the government’s decision in a statement, said the platform was suspended because of its persistent use for activities that are capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence.”
The suspension of Twitter’s operation came three days after the platform deleted President Muhammadu Buhari’s controversial tweet on the country’s civil war for policy violation.
The United States had earlier condemned the suspension of Twitter’s operation in Nigeria.
The statement read: “The diplomatic missions of Canada, the European Union (Delegation to Nigeria), the Republic of Ireland, Norway, and the United Kingdom convey our disappointment over the Government of Nigeria’s announcement suspending #Twitter and proposing registration requirements for other social media.
“We strongly support the fundamental human right of free expression and access to information as a pillar of democracy in Nigeria as around the world and these rights apply online as well as offline. Banning systems of expression is not the answer.
“These measures inhibit access to information and commerce at precisely the moment when Nigeria needs to foster inclusive dialogue and expression of opinions, as well as share vital information in this time of the COVID-19 pandemic.
“The path to a more secure Nigeria lies in more, not less, communication to accompany the concerted efforts of Nigeria’s citizens in fulsome dialogue toward unity, peace and prosperity.
“As Nigeria’s partners, we stand ready to assist in achieving these goals.”
Join the conversation
INVESTIGATION… Ten years after, communities count losses as AfDB, Cross River govt abandon road project
Ten years after the Cross River State government and African Development Bank (AFDB) jointly awarded the Yahe-Wanokom-Wanikade-Benue border road for...
INVESTIGATION….N.3bn down the drain: Why water projects for Enugu communities don’t work
In this concluding part, ARINZE CHIJIOKE talks about some of the projects that are serving the people and how various WASH programmes have failed to tackle...
INVESTIGATION…PARKVIEW ESTATE: Exclusive images of how billionaire property developer incurred Lagos govt‘s anger
Many have seen the demolished building, but not many know the circumstances that led to the teardown of the about...
INVESTIGATION… N.3bn down the drain, as Enugu communities suffer from dry taps
In November 2020, three organizations and the Enugu State government celebrated the completion of N300 million worth of projects that were expected...
INVESTIGATION… How herdsmen crisis compounds woes of already deprived Ogun communities
Earlier in January, the Nigerian media space was awash with reports of violence between herders and farmers across the country....