FIFA ethics prosecutors have cleared President Gianni Infantino in the case of alleged misconduct over use of private flights.
Infantino was under investigation last month over allegations FIFA’s code of ethics as part of a preliminary investigation into issues including potential conflicts of interest and expenses claims.
FIFA said in a statement on Friday that: “no violation of the FIFA Code of Ethics (FCE) had been committed by Mr Infantino. The adjudicatory chamber took note of and accepted the decision of the investigatory chamber.”
Infantino, who replaced Sepp Blatter in the top job in February and has promised to “restore the image and respect of FIFA.”
An internal FIFA memo leaked to media said Infantino took flights from the governments of World Cup hosts Russia and Qatar, plus former employer UEFA.
These benefits “were not considered improper,” the statement said.
The weeks-long investigation also examined Infantino’s hiring of senior advisers and refusal to sign his working contract since February.
However, these were judged as “internal compliance issues.”
- #EndSARS: Oyetola imposes 24-hour curfew on Osun - October 20, 2020
- Police bans protests in Ekiti - October 20, 2020
- Vigilante group arrests two hoodlums attempting to burgle shops in Edo - October 20, 2020