Connect with us


Fire consumes Yabatech hostel



Fire consumes Yabatech hostel

A sudden outbreak of fire in the early hours of today consumed a female hostel at the Yaba College of Technology, YABATECH, Lagos.

Students were seen jumping down from the hostel, to escape the inferno, while many others were reportedly trapped inside their rooms.

Desperate measures were adopted by residents and sympathizers before the arrival of the Lagos State Fire Service before the inferno was finally subdued.

Several students who jumped from their rooms are reported to have sustained various degrees of injuries, as students and the school authority are counting their losses.

Read also: Three kids perish in Kenyan house fire

No life was lost in the incident except for a girl who fainted and has been revived.

A student of the school, who simply identified herself as Funke said they suspect that the fire started from the generator and spread very fast to the the rooms.
“We were still sleeping this morning, and around two o’clock I heard the sound of the generator coming on, as it was started. Not long after I just started hearing people shouting ‘fire fire’. I woke up and saw smoke, I just ran outside first, and it’s so confusing”, she stated.
Joseph Emmanuel….



RipplesNigeria ….without borders, without fears

Join the conversation


Support Ripples Nigeria, hold up solutions journalism

Balanced, fearless journalism driven by data comes at huge financial costs.

As a media platform, we hold leadership accountable and will not trade the right to press freedom and free speech for a piece of cake.

If you like what we do, and are ready to uphold solutions journalism, kindly donate to the Ripples Nigeria cause.

Your support would help to ensure that citizens and institutions continue to have free access to credible and reliable information for societal development.

Donate Now