Two shops with household utensils at Maola Shopping Mall in Idumota area of Lagos Island were destroyed by fire on Friday.
The Director-General of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Dr. Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, told journalists the fire had been quelled by emergency responders.
According to him the combined efforts of emergency agencies put off the fire within 30 minutes.
He said: “Upon arrival of the emergency responders at the scene it was revealed that a building (Maola Shopping Mall) was affected by a fire of unknown origin.
“A combined team of LASEMA responders from Lagos Central Zone, Lagos State Fire (Sari Iganmu), Federal Fire service and Nigeria Police Force were able to curtail the flames within shortest period of time.
“Only shops 35 and 36 on the last floor of the building stocked with different goods such as cartoons of detergents and kitchen utensils were affected with the fire and no casualties.”
He said the responders had returned to their bases and urged members of the public to comply with the COVID-19 social distancing guidelines laid down by the Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu to avoid endangering themselves