Spokesman to Atiku Abubakar, Paul Ibe, has revealed that the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) would partly rely on an anonymous website containing documents purportedly obtained from internal computers of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to prove his case at the election tribunal.
Abubakar had formally approached the tribunal last week to prove that he actually won the presidential election against President Muhammadu Buhari.
He claims, among other things, that based on results purportedly obtained from INEC’s server, he scored 1.6 million more votes than Buhari after results had been collated from all states except Rivers.
The claim has been mocked by some including the APC. Abubakar has been accused by others of inadvertently admitting to unauthorised access to INEC data, an act they say is considered criminal under the Cybercrime Act, 2015.
But Ibe dismissed the accusations and shared a link to a website purportedly built by a whistleblower INEC official.
The website had on its front page the bold inscription, ‘Truth Cannot Be Hidden’, and additional messages said it was put together by an INEC official who felt the PDP candidate was cheated by the commission in declaring President Buhari winner of the election.
“What is in the public domain cannot be hacked. To hack is to breach defences & exploit weaknesses in a computer system or network. For your info, this is the site hosting the data submitted by Atiku & PDP. If you know, you know,” Mr Ibe said in response to Yekini Nabena, a spokesperson for the APC who had attacked Abubakar.
Mr Ibe then shared the link to ‘Facts Don’t Lie Nigeria’ website.
The website contained external links holding PDF files, including screenshots of alleged INEC computers and voter accreditation data.
Abubakar’s lawyers have reportedly said they would call in forensic experts to analyse the information published on the anonymous website alongside other materials from INEC at the tribunal.
- BREAKING: 136 new cases of COVID-19 take Nigeria’s total to 58,460; death toll now 1,111 - September 28, 2020
- Nigeria immigration deploys special force to tackle bandits, kidnappers in North West - September 28, 2020
- Gov Zulum meets families of policemen killed in Boko Haram attack - September 28, 2020