An alarm has been raised over a possible arms race in the Middle East after Saudi Arabia and UAE both spent more than $100bn to acquire weapons.
The alarm was raised by Iran’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Mohammad Javad Zarif who said recent US weapons sales have turned the Gulf region into a “tinderbox ready to blow up”.
In an exclusive interview with Al Jazeera on Monday, Zarif said more warships in the Gulf would only lead to more insecurity.
“The US [sold] $50bn worth of weapons to the region last year. Some of the countries in the region with less than a third of our population spend $87bn on military procurement,” Zarif told Al Jazeera in Qatar’s capital, Doha.
“Let’s make a comparison; Iran spent last year $16bn on all its military with almost one million people in the army. The UAE with a total population of one million spent $22bn, Saudi Arabia spent $87bn,” he continued.
“If you are talking about threats coming from the region, the threats are coming from the US and its allies who are pouring weapons in the region, making it a tinderbox ready to blow up.”
- BREAKING: 463 new COVD-19 cases take Nigeria’s total to 33 616; death toll now 754 - July 15, 2020
- Buhari won’t fail Nigerians on anti-graft war —Presidency - July 15, 2020
- Policemen recover two anti-aircraft guns, rifles in Borno - July 15, 2020