IBF, WBA, WBO World heavyweight title holder, Anthony Joshua will defend his world heavyweight titles against Alexander Povetkin at Wembley Stadium on 22 September.
The match is in a bid to fulfill his WBA mandatory defence.
Unbeaten in 21 professional bouts, British-born Joshua will face 38-year-old Russian Povetkin, who has suffered only one defeat since his professional debut in 2005, and was the WBA champion from 2011-2013.
“The plan is Povetkin on the 22nd (September) and then Wilder on the 13th (April) if he gets around to signing the contract,” boxing promoter, Eddie Hearn told Daily Mail.
It will be a meeting of two former Olympic champions, Povetkin taking super-heavyweight gold at the 2004 Athens Games and Joshua the same title at London 2012.
“I can’t wait to get back in the ring – the end of March feels a long time ago now,” said Joshua, referring to his 11th-round knockout of former champion Wladimir Klitschko in April last year at same venue.
RipplesNigeria… without borders, without fears
Latest posts by Ben Ugbana (see all)
- De Bruyne double helps Man City thrash Arsenal 3-0 at Emirates - December 15, 2019
- EPL: Spurs win late at Wolves; Iwobi stars in Everton draw at Man Utd - December 15, 2019
- Iheanacho subbed off, Ndidi stars as Leicester suffer setback in EPL title race - December 14, 2019