Politics

KAJURU KILLINGS: We can’t verify El-Rufai’s casualty figures for now- Kaduna police

Kidnapped Kaduna traditional ruler killed

Ahmed Abdulrahaman, Kaduna State police commissioner, says the force cannot verify the casualty figures that Nasir El-Rufai, the governor, released on the killings in Kajuru, Kaduna State.

El-Rufai had initially said 66 people were killed in the attacks which took place last week.

At a press conference in Aso Rock on Tuesday, the governor said the death toll had risen to 130.

But speaking with journalists on Thursday, Abdulrahaman said the police were still investigating and the outcome will be made public.

“Investigation is ongoing and the results would be made public in due course,” he said.

Read also: Falana calls for international ban, prosecution of El-Rufai over ‘body bags’ comment

He said all the casualty figures given could not be verified until investigation is over.

The police commissioner called on both the Adara natives and their Fulani counterparts “to be nationalistic in thought and not ethnocentric.”

“Nigerians are watching and waiting on when investigation would be completed and results made public as promised,” he said.

The casualty figures had generated controversy when Chidi Odinkalu, a human rights lawyer, accused the governor of manipulating the figures for political ends.

But that appeared to have been resolved after Farou Yahaya, general officer commanding (GOC), 1 division of the Nigerian Army, confirmed that 66 people were indeed killed.

Join the conversation

Opinions

About the author

Ripples Nigeria

We are an online newspaper, very passionate about Nigerian politics, business and their leaders. We dig deeper, without borders and without fears.
www.ripplesnigeria.com

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!