Kaduna State governor, Nasir El- Rufai has said that over 130 persons and not 60 were killed in Kajuru village in the last week attack in the area.
El-Rufai had earlier claimed that 60 persons were killed in the attack but was faulted by the state chapter of Christian Association of Nigeria, which accused him of exaggerating the number of casualties to incite crisis in the state ahead the February 16 presidential election.
The election was later postponed by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
But speaking with State House reporters after a Security Council meeting, presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari at the Villa on Tuesday, El-Rufai claimed that over 130 persons died during the attack in the state last week.
The governor claimed that the killing was a deliberate plan to wipe out a certain community, and maintained that anybody questioning whether the attack took place or not, was grossly irresponsible.
He said, “The latest report shows that over 130 people were killed, not even 60. We have the list and we will release it to the media. The affected communities have provided us with the names of those that were killed.”
The governor promised that those behind the killings would be made to face the full wrath of the law.
Kaduna State Commissioner of Police, Ahmad Abdulrahaman, who also spoke on the matter said a total of 11 suspects have been arrested in connection with the killings.
He said, “Initially we arrested eight people and additional three have been arrested. More facts are coming out. We want to do the needful before taken the suspects to court.”
Aside El-Rufai, governors Jibirilla Bindow (Adamawa), Kashim Shettima (Borno) and members of the country’s national Security Council attended the meeting which lasted for about an hour.
Join the conversation
Support Ripples Nigeria, hold up solutions journalism
Balanced, fearless journalism driven by data comes at huge financial costs.
As a media platform, we hold leadership accountable and will not trade the right to press freedom and free speech for a piece of cake.
If you like what we do, and are ready to uphold solutions journalism, kindly donate to the Ripples Nigeria cause.
Your support would help to ensure that citizens and institutions continue to have free access to credible and reliable information for societal development.
ICYMI…SPECIAL REPORT: NNPCL hides behind PIA to frustrate disclosure, accountability
Nigeria’s major oil company, Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation Limited (NNPCL), in what appears to be a common practice of disregard...
INVESTIGATION: Multi-million naira Ekiti resort center remains uncompleted a decade after
The multimillion-naira project, expected to comprise recreational buildings, now consists of cassava farmland, a bush used for excretion, and a...
SPECIAL REPORT: Torturous experiences of students with disabilities in Oyo tertiary institutions
For students with disabilities in Oyo state-owned tertiary institutions, learning is a torturous and distressing experience, considering the building structures...
INVESTIGATION: Uncompleted Old Enugu-Onitsha Road brings untold hardship, tears to commuters, residents of Enugu communities
Ugwu Obinna’s younger sister was killed after a truck driver transporting cows rammed into her shop located at the Okpatu...
INVESTIGATION: Students sit on floors, under leaking roofs as multi-million naira project is nowhere to be found in Zamfara
Suleman Tukur, 15, an SS 2 student of Government Day Secondary School (GDSS) Bakura in Bakura local government area of...