The Lagos State Government said on Wednesday it would discontinue 566 non-active cases which had been in courts since 2015 and prosecuted by the police.
The decision followed the review of the recommendation of a panel set up by the state government on decongestion of non-criminal cases at the State High Courts and Magistrate Courts.
The committee had recommended the state government to discontinue the prosecution of cases where it had become difficult to prosecute due to delay and its attendant factors.
A statement issued by the Director of Public Affairs, Ministry of Justice, Kayode Oyeknmi, said the Attorney- General and Commissioner for Justice, Moyosore Onigbanjo (SAN), had instructed the Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to immediately file a notice of discontinuance in respect of 566 non- active cases at the registry of the State High Court and Magistrate Court.
He also directed the immediate commencement of the second phase of the exercise.
Latest posts by Ripples Nigeria (see all)
- COVID-19: Edo to set up 54 screening centres - April 6, 2020
- COVID-19: Ghanaian govt to provide three-month free water - April 6, 2020
- South Sudan confirms first case of Covid-19 - April 6, 2020