The man who carried out Friday’s stabbing attack at London Bridge was a former prisoner convicted of terrorism offences.
The attacker, named by police as 28-year-old Usman Khan, was out of prison on licence at the time of the attack, in which a man and a woman were killed and three others were injured, the BBC reports.
Khan was shot dead by officers after members of the public restrained him.
The Queen said she was “saddened” by the attack.
She thanked the emergency services “as well as the brave individuals who put their own lives at risk to selflessly help and protect others.”
Police declared the attack a terrorist incident.
Khan was known to the authorities, having been convicted for terrorism offences in 2012. He was released from prison on licence in December 2018, Met Police Assistant Commissioner, Neil Basu, said.
The Parole Board said it had no involvement in the 28-year-old’s release, saying he “appears to have been released automatically on licence (as required by law).”
The Times reported that Khan’s release came after he agreed to wear an electronic tag and have his movements monitored.
The attack began at 13:58 GMT on Friday at Fishmongers’ Hall, at the north end of London Bridge, where a Cambridge University conference on prisoner rehabilitation – called Learning Together – was taking place.
The suspect had been attending the event, where dozens of people – including students and former prisoners – were present.
Latest posts by Ripples Nigeria (see all)
- Zamfara APC strong, intact in spite of our challenges, ex-Gov Yari claims - December 15, 2019
- 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers Sunday morning, December 15, 2019 - December 15, 2019
- KWARA: PDP seeks NGF’s intervention over crisis rocking State House of Assembly - December 15, 2019