Nigeria In One Minute
Married? Stay happy with these 8 tips
A failed marriage is not only when it ends in divorce, an unhappy marriage is also a failed marriage. When you seem to be enduring your marriage, instead of enjoying it, then something is definitely wrong. You need to step up to the game, and return the happiness to the relationship.
Here are eight things to avoid on the road to a happy marriage and home;
1. You think that your spouse’s job is to make you happy: when you decide not to contribute towards your own happiness, you are already contributing towards the failure of your marriage. If you make yourself happy, you are helping your marriage and your spouse.
2. You don’t see anything wrong with lying to your spouse: making lying a habit is a marriage killer. You are not trustworthy and your spouse cannot vouch for you. A marriage run with lies fails easily.
3. The children are more important: by now you regard your spouse as the person that gave you children and not the person you loved and married. All your attention is on the children; what they like, what makes them happy, and your spouse is totally left out of your feeling circle. When it is all about the children, you might soon be left alone with the children.
4. Keeping wrong friends: friends that hate marriage, or didn’t do well in marriage can never give you the right advice. People who treat their spouses badly are not in the position to give you sound advice on how to treat your spouse well.
5. It is all about my rights: if you know your right too much, you will gradually kill your marriage. Sometimes, you have to forgo your right for peace and love to reign in your marriage. I am the husband, this is my right, I am the wife this is my right, should not always apply when dealing with the one you are supposed to love.
6. You don’t respect your spouse: disrespecting your spouse is disrespect for your marriage. You continually question or undermine their judgment and decisions.
7. You see your spouse as the enemy or opponent: you think your spouse is always acting to punish you or against your interest. You hardly see anything good or friendly in what your spouse does. It is like you are engaged in a vicious rivalry. You are bitter if they don’t help enough or do things the way you like.
8. You don’t ask for forgiveness: you see no reason to show remorse for the wrong you did and ask for forgiveness. This behaviour kills any relationship, especially marriage.
Join the conversation
Support Ripples Nigeria, hold up solutions journalism
Balanced, fearless journalism driven by data comes at huge financial costs.
As a media platform, we hold leadership accountable and will not trade the right to press freedom and free speech for a piece of cake.
If you like what we do, and are ready to uphold solutions journalism, kindly donate to the Ripples Nigeria cause.
Your support would help to ensure that citizens and institutions continue to have free access to credible and reliable information for societal development.
A tale of Kwara public school where pupils learn under the tree without chalkboards
“You cannot make people learn. You can only provide the right conditions for learning to happen.” – Vince Gowmon But...
SPECIAL REPORT: Indiscriminate waste dumps, open defecation pose threat of epidemic in Kwara as govt slow to act
Forty three-year-old Bilikis Abdulrahman covered her pineapple fruit she is selling inside a white bucket container. This, she does to...
SPECIAL REPORT: Women displaced by conflict in North-Central Nigeria become farm helps to survive
Displaced women finding refuge in Abagena camp for Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) camp in Makurdi, Benue State have resorted to...
FEATURE: Kwara residents cry out for help as rainstorm devastates their homes
Phillip Moffitt, an American author, said: “the house is a home when it shelters the body and comforts the soul”,...
SPECIAL REPORT: Small businesses suffer, as govts fail to end sit-at-home in Nigeria’s South-East
It is a Thursday afternoon in December 2022 and the sun is scorching inside the popular Ogbete Market in Enugu...