Barcelona forward, Neymar, has said his teammate and Argentine striker Lionel Messi deserves the FIFA Ballon d’Or award over Real Madrid’s Christiano Ronaldo.
The award that will be announced on Monday has been won interchangably by the duo in the last 8th editions, and Ronaldo remains the favourite this year, with some reports claiming that the Portuguese superstar has already won the award.
“I don’t know who will win, [but] for me there is only one who’s the best [and] that’s Messi,” Neymar told GOL.
“Ronaldo is a great player, he’s world class and has been for many years and I respect him.
“But Messi is the one who deserves it for me,” he stated.
After winning the Champions League with his club Real Madrid and Euro 2016 with Portugal, and scoring an incredible 51 goals this year, Ronaldo is favourite for the Player of the Year award.
Neymar had earlier praised the Madrid superstar, saying it will be good if Ronaldo plays for Barcelona.
“I’m a fan of Cristiano; he’s a legend, one of a kind. It would be very good if he played for Barcelona,” Neymar was quoted as saying.
But in all, Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi are set to continue their dominance on the Ballon d’Or award. Although Antoine Griezmann, Luis Suarez and Neymar himself have had great years, Ronaldo’s and Messi’s standing in the game means that most of the journalists would have voted one of the two, and the football world are waiting to see who comes out on top on Monday.
RipplesNigeria ….without borders, without fears
Join the conversation
Support Ripples Nigeria, hold up solutions journalism
Balanced, fearless journalism driven by data comes at huge financial costs.
As a media platform, we hold leadership accountable and will not trade the right to press freedom and free speech for a piece of cake.
If you like what we do, and are ready to uphold solutions journalism, kindly donate to the Ripples Nigeria cause.
Your support would help to ensure that citizens and institutions continue to have free access to credible and reliable information for societal development.
Students suffer as contractors abandon Kano school projects after receiving over N70m
In 2019, to improve the condition of public schools in Kano State, the Federal Government disbursed millions of naira to...
SPECIAL REPORT: World Bank road projects go bad in Enugu, as state govt fails to fulfill promise
Counterpart funded road projects between the world Bank and Enugu State government have started to fail, as the state government...
INVESTIGATION: How N70m road construction created more hardship for Sokoto residents
“To address recurrent accidents on Gagi to Gidan Dilo road and Fakon Idi roads, in Sokoto State, the Federal Government,...
INVESTIGATION: Inside Kwara school where students are used as labour on teachers’ private farms
In this report, SHEREEFDEEN AHMAD uncovered how young students in Kwara State, Nigeria, are being used for labour work on...
INVESTIGATION: How Kano SUBEB awarded contracts to inactive contractors, non-existent schools
In an effort to address issues hindering quality education, the Kano State Government in 2020 awarded N88,406,667.10 for the construction...