Nigeria loses $780m to gas flaring in 6 months
Gas flare actions across oil and gas sites in the country cost Nigeria $779 million in the first half of 2020, data from Nigerian Gas Flare Tracker website, a unit of the National Oil Spill Detection and Response Agency, showed on Thursday.
The volume of the wasted gas, put at 222.8 billion standard cubic feet (bscf), is worth N302.2 billion in local currency using the official rate of exchange of the U.S. dollar.
Onshore oil and gas sites accounted for 60.95 per cent with the rest 39.05 per cent coming from offshore operations, all summing up to 11.8 million tonnes of carbon dioxide (CO2) emission, said the tracker, raising fears of escalating health hazards and environmental pollution in the Niger-Delta.
This lost volume is capable of generating 22,300 gigawatts hours (gwh) of electricity.
Read also: Nigeria loses $29bn every year to power sector failure –Senate
Gas flared by onshore sites came to 135.8 bscf January through June just as the figure for their offshore counterparts stood totalled 87 bscf.
For the unethical practise, the penalties payable by the culpable companies to the Nigerian government was estimated at $445.7 million (N172.709 billion).
Standing alone, gas flared by onshore firms was worth $475.5 million (N184.256 billion) attracting a fine of $271.7 million (N105.284 billion). Put differently, it was equivalent to 7.2 million of CO2 emission that could be converted to 13,500 gwh.
Offshore flared gas was estimated at $304.4 million (N117.955 billion) with a $174 million (N67.424 billion) penalty attached. Altogether, the CO2 emitted by them had the potential of producing 8,700 gwh of electricity.
Join the conversation
Support Ripples Nigeria, hold up solutions journalism
Balanced, fearless journalism driven by data comes at huge financial costs.
As a media platform, we hold leadership accountable and will not trade the right to press freedom and free speech for a piece of cake.
If you like what we do, and are ready to uphold solutions journalism, kindly donate to the Ripples Nigeria cause.
Your support would help to ensure that citizens and institutions continue to have free access to credible and reliable information for societal development.
INVESTIGATION: 4 yrs after completion, Kwara PHC facility inactive, rural dwellers in pains
In the middle of the night sometime in September 2019, Fatimah Ballah struggled with severe pains as she tries to...
INVESTIGATION: How Oyo State, contractors spent N1.1bn on water projects, but communities don’t have a drop
Multimillion naira water projects largely initiated by the late Abiola Ajimobi-led state government in Oyo State to benefit over 40...
INVESTIGATION: In Cross River, civil servants retire into poverty as govt looks away, squanders funds on frivolities
Thousands of civil servants in Cross River State struggle to stay alive as they are denied their gratuities and monthly...
Students suffer as contractors abandon Kano school projects after receiving over N70m
In 2019, to improve the condition of public schools in Kano State, the Federal Government disbursed millions of naira to...
SPECIAL REPORT: World Bank road projects go bad in Enugu, as state govt fails to fulfill promise
Counterpart funded road projects between the world Bank and Enugu State government have started to fail, as the state government...