Local News

Nurse gives account of how Adeleke died, refutes giving him overdose

Who killed Isiaka Adeleke?

A nurse, Alfred Aderigbebe, who allegedly administered overdose of contraband drugs on the late Senator Isiaka Adeleke, on Thursday, denied giving him overdose of medicine that led to his death and said he only administered prescribed drugs on him.

Aderigbebe stated this when he appeared before the Coroner inquest set up by the Osun State government to unravel the circumstances leading to the death of the senator.

The nurse’s testimony is coming after the Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, Prof Akeem Lasisi, on Monday said that autopsy result showed that Adeleke died of an overdose of banned injections, administered on him by somebody he said he does not know.

But in his testimony on Thursday, Aderibigbe, a registered nurse of 25 years that works at the Comprehensive Health Centre Edunabon Town, Ife North Local Government in Osun State as a Chief Nursing Officer, said he had treated the deceased for the past 15 years.

He explained that all the medications he administered on the late senator before his death were in compliance with prescriptions given to him by the deceased, adding that he only gave the deceased 50mg of analgen and intravenous fluid as well as 10mg of diazepam.

He said, “On the 23rd of April, 2017, I was in my room in my house ‎at about past 4 am when I heard a loud knock on the door and people shouting, I opened the smaller gate and I saw the campaign vehicle of Senator Isiaka Adeleke and some of his aides informed me that the Senator had been calling me.

“I went back in and picked up my phone and discovered that I had 16 missed calls from Dipo Faborode, his friend, the aides and the late Senator himself. I called back, Dipo picked the call then the senator collected the phone from him and asked me to come over to the house immediately with his injections.”

He further narrated that when he got to the house, he met the Senator in serious pains and saw some tablets on the floor along with a bottle of water, an indication that Adeleke had already taken some pills before his arrival.

“I asked him and he said he had to use some tablets and when he was not relieved of the pain, he had to call me.

“He later brought out a prescription after which he asked for the drugs which he gave to me on the 17th of April, 2017 to keep for him when he returned from Lagos. I then asked him to give me the prescription to hold but he refused to give to me. I checked his blood pressure, it was 130/80, temperature 37.4, respiration 26 bit per minute, pulse 86. All vitals were okay,” he said.

The drug he listed he went to the late senators house with were (1) 4 ampoules of diazepam of 10mg each (2) 2 ampoules of 50 mg of analgen (3) 1 mill of pentazozin and 2 vials of hydrocortisone and (4) 2 gentamycin of 80 mgs each.

According to the nurse, Adeleke had insisted that he gave him 40mgs of analgen, but that he refused, because it will be too much.

Read also: Adeleke family accuses LAUTECH CMD of compromise, vows sue him

Aderigbebe said, “So I broke the other three ampoules of the analgen to make him feel like I was going to use it for him but sincerely, I only used 10mg of analgen and I administered it intramuscular and not intravenous as being said around”

Adeleke, he said, fell asleep after he administered the drug on him. The nurse, who said he then went to church, explained that when he returned from church around 9:30am and went to see the senator with Dipo Faborode, they find him unresponsive.
“I opened the door to the Senator’s room with Dipo Faborode right behind me. I walked up to the Senator when he did not wave back after I called out his name, “My Gov”, expecting that he would be awake by then. But Dipo suddenly told me that his hand moved, so I called out his name but he did not answer, so I moved close to him and I discovered that he had just very faint breath.

“I quickly rushed to give him first aid of “cardiac massage,” but I noticed that he didn’t respond at all so, we screamed and other aides came in, took the car out and they drove off to Biket Hospital where we were received by Dr Adenle Adebisi and the body of the senator was carried out on a stretcher. Afterwards Dr Adenle pronounced him ‘brought in dead’.”

Recall that the family of the late senator rejected being part of the coroner inquest and have even threatened to sue Lasisi over his testimony on the cause of the senator’s death.






RipplesNigeria ….without borders, without fears

Click here to download the Ripples Nigeria App for latest updates

Join the conversation


About the author


We are an online newspaper, very passionate about Nigerian politics, business and their leaders. We dig deeper, without borders and without fears.