The Ondo State House of Assembly on Tuesday proceeded on an indefinite break in a bid to contain the spread of COVID-19 pandemic in the state.
The Clerk of the House, Mr. Bode Adeyelu, who disclosed this in a statement in Akure, lamented the increasing cases of the disease in the country.
He said: “It is more worrisome that there has been an increase in the number of index cases that are being recorded in our country on a daily basis in the last few weeks.
“The Ondo State House of Assembly wishes to commend and appreciate the timely efforts and interventions of both the federal and the state governments to curb the spread of this deadly virus.
“Among other reasons for the recess is to afford distinguished honourable members the opportunity to embark on sensitization and awareness campaign to their various constituencies on the need for their constituents to observe the prescribed precautionary measures as outlined by the government.
“This will last until an appreciable decline or total eradication of this pandemic is recorded in the country.”
He said the new resumption date would be communicated in due time.
Akinyelu added: “All indigenes and residents are also advised to fully cooperate with the government by abiding and complying with all prescribed health tips and precautionary steps as laid down by authorities.
”This will completely wipe out the virus and ensure a healthy and safe environment within a reasonable time frame.”
The House had earlier embarked on a two-week recess on March 19 in order to stem the tide of the virus and embark on sensitization across their various constituencies.
- NCDC boss, Ihekweazu, harps on need for Nigerians to sustain safety directives on covid-19 - October 30, 2020
- Pro-Buhari group backs sanctions imposed on AIT, Arise & Channels TV - October 30, 2020
- LATEST TECH NEWS: Egyptian deliveries entrepreneur emerges 2020 Anzisha Prize winner. 2 other things and a trivia you need to know today, October 30, 2020 - October 30, 2020