The Minister of Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire, said on Thursday over 40 health workers had contracted COVID-19 in the country.
Ehanire, who disclosed this during the daily briefing of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 in Abuja, applauded the health workers who are in the frontline of the ongoing efforts to rid the country of the pandemic.
The minister assured the health workers that the Federal Government would continue to provide them with the necessary Personnel Protective Equipment (PPE) and urged them to take necessary precautions for their own safety.
He said: “Please do not try to treat patients without using adequate PPE and all frontline workers must undertake refresher courses and training on IPC at intervals. This advice is necessary due to the number of health workers who have tested positive. They are over 40 now or others who had to be quarantined in the last two weeks due to exposure and are unable to contribute to the health sector’s efforts.”
Meanwhile, the Medical Guild said on Thursday that at least three doctors had tested positive for coronavirus in Lagos.
READ ALSO: Akwa Ibom govt extends COVID-19 lockdown
In addition, three other health workers had been killed by the disease since Nigeria recorded its first coronavirus case in February. Watch the video below:
- Trump rejects Biden’s 80m votes tally, alleges widespread election fraud - November 26, 2020
- ALLEGED N2.2 FRAUD: Nigeria govt reaches out to Niger Republic, US over Maina - November 26, 2020
- IGP urges police officers to return to duties, lists conditions for use of firearms - November 26, 2020