Connect with us

International

Over 700 refugees feared dead in 3 separate shipwrecks, UN says

Published

on

Over 700 refugees feared dead in 3 separate shipwrecks, UN says
The United Nations refugee agency has informed that over 700 refugees have been feared drowned in three separate shipwrecks in the last one week after attempts to cross the Mediterranean Sea into Europe.
William Spindler, a UNHCR spokesman for Europe, who spoke to Al Jazeera from Geneva said there had been a spate of incidents in the Mediterranean last week.
“The first one was Wednesday, which was widely reported. A boat capsised, carrying about 600 people. Some of those people are still missing,” Spindler said.
“Then there was a second incident on Thursday and a third one on Friday. In total, we fear that in these three incidents more than 700 people are missing, presumed drowned.
“There is a number of boats at the moment trying to make their way from Libya to Italy and several rescue operations are ongoing.”
Spindler said more needed to be done to stop refugees from taking to the sea in small boats.

RipplesNigeria …without borders, without fears

Join the conversation

Opinions

Support Ripples Nigeria, hold up solutions journalism

Balanced, fearless journalism driven by data comes at huge financial costs.

As a media platform, we hold leadership accountable and will not trade the right to press freedom and free speech for a piece of cake.

If you like what we do, and are ready to uphold solutions journalism, kindly donate to the Ripples Nigeria cause.

Your support would help to ensure that citizens and institutions continue to have free access to credible and reliable information for societal development.

Donate Now

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

fourteen − eight =