Super Eagles striker, Kelechi Iheanacho, has been rewarded with an opportunity to feature for Manchester City in the knock out stage of the UEFA Champions League.
Man City manager, Manuel Pellegrini, on Monday, revealed that Iheanacho, 19, who scored a hat trick in Saturday’s 4-0 FA Cup win at Aston Villa, will replace the injured Samir Nasri.
The Nigerian was not included in the 25-man squad for the group stages because City had already filled their quota of 17 foreign players.
Nasri, who underwent a major surgery to repair a thigh muscle and tendon in November, has expressed hope of being back in training in March, but Pellegrini believes it will still be some time before he is ready to play.
The deadline for changes to be made to the squad is Tuesday, with City playing Dynamo Kiev in their round-of-16 first-leg clash on Feb. 22.
Pellegrini said: “I have decided and I have told Samir Nasri I will take him out of the Champions League list because he needs at least two months more to be fit.
“We need Kelechi now because [Wilfried] Bony is also injured and we cannot take the risk that something happens with Kun [Sergio Aguero], and we don’t have a striker for the round of 16. So, Kelechi will be in the Champions League.”
RipplesNigeria …without borders, without fears
Join the conversation
Support Ripples Nigeria, hold up solutions journalism
Balanced, fearless journalism driven by data comes at huge financial costs.
If you are motivated and passionate about building a global society, founded on justice, equity, fairness, transparency, accountability and superior knowledge, kindly consider donating to Ripples Nigeria’s solutions journalism.
Your support would help to ensure that citizens and institutions continue to have free access to credible and reliable information for societal development.
INVESTIGATION: Inside UNILAG’s multi-million naira budgetary abuse and academic discord
The University of Lagos located in Nigeria’s commercial capital, Lagos, has been embroiled in controversies with allegations bothering on misappropriation of...
SPECIAL REPORT: Displaced residents of Zamfara battle hunger, as underfunding derails Nigeria’s nutrition goals
On paper, Muhammad Zayyanu is seven years old. The quiet boy who looks shorter for his age could not recollect...
INVESTIGATION: N7.3bn paid for unnamed projects; how Nigerian govt spent N2.2trn in six months
Analysing nearly 3,000 payments made by various Federal Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) over the previous six months (January...
INVESTIGATION… Delay rocks Nigerian govt’s promise of N30,000 covid-19 relief for artisans, others
Before the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic in February, 2020, Chukwudi Okoroigwe’s daily earnings as a bus driver was hardly enough to cater to the...
INVESTIGATION… Ten years after, communities count losses as AfDB, Cross River govt abandon road project
Ten years after the Cross River State government and African Development Bank (AFDB) jointly awarded the Yahe-Wanokom-Wanikade-Benue border road for...