Business

POWER: FG approves new framework for expansion of transmission capacity

Labour Congress wants Nigerian govt to retain 40% holdings in DisCos, GenCos

The Federal Government has approved a new framework geared towards expanding the 33KVA and 11KVA electricity transmission lines in the country.

The framework will ensure distribution of 2,000 megawatts of generated energy currently not being distributed from power stations.

The Federal Executive Council (FEC) gave the approval on Wednesday during the council’s weekly meeting.

Addressing State House correspondents after the meeting, Babatunde Fashola, Minister of Power, Works and Housing, said about 7,000 megawatts of electricity is currently generated in the country but the existing national grid cannot transmit and distribute more than 5,000mw.

He said the new framework would usher in an investment arrangement in which the distribution companies (DisCos) provide 60 percent while the federal government contribute the remaining 40 percent.

Fashola said the DiScos would be compelled to make additional investments which they were supposed to have made.

“The process will involve international investment for the procurement of the equipment, lines and all of the accessories to build those networks and there will be more under international procurement standards,” he said.

Read also: Dangote’s Alheri tackles Fashola on claims it owes Nigerian Govt N27.2bn over fibre optic agreement

“The federal government will put its own 40 percent and ask the DisCos to put their own 60 percent and other parties who are interested will have the opportunity to improve on the investments.”

The minister added that more power plants would be completed this year “which will add almost 1,600MW to the grid.”

“We can’t continue to accumulate power that doesn’t get to the people, so this framework is to start the process,” he said, adding, “Government is now saying we can’t sit down idle doing nothing, let’s start something, a framework for investment.

“Once those prices are agreed, then we will call the private sector owners of the DisCos, present our own 40 percent and ask for their own.

“As soon as the pricing is complete, we intend to persuade government to start making its investment. What we have done as a ministry is a formulation of policy to government to say this is the next thing we must do and government has approved that policy.”

 

RipplesNigeria… without borders, without fears

Click here to join the Ripples Nigeria WhatsApp group for latest updates.

Join the conversation

Opinions

About the author

Ripples Nigeria

We are an online newspaper, very passionate about Nigerian politics, business and their leaders. We dig deeper, without borders and without fears.
www.ripplesnigeria.com

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!