Some major actors in the nation’s political scene, especially those involved in the campaigns for the forthcoming elections are not smiling right now. More and more dirty linens are being washed in the public glare, as they tackle each other to the ground.
The campaign of calumny has heightened, and the mudslinging in getting dirtier. They are now resorting to threatening each other with law suits and possible jail time if the other party does not back down or apologise.
So far, three threats of law suits have been mouthed amounting to the tune of N27billion.
In one of the case, vice presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Prof. Yemi Osinbajo (SAN) has threatened a legal action against the spokesman for the President Goodluck Jonathan Campaign Organisation, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, for what he described as defamation of his person.
Fani-Kayode had, in a recent press statement made available to various media houses, alleged that Osinbajo had taken a secret oath with a national leader of the APC, Bola Tinubu, to relinquish power as vice president to Tinubu after six months in office, in the event that the APC won the presidential election.
In a letter written on his behalf by his lawyer, Femi Falana (SAN), Osibanjo asked Fani-Kayode to tender a public apology to him which should be aired on four television stations and published in four national dailies in addition to a payment of N2bn for the damages already done against his person.
In another instance, Fani-Kayode, has also threatened to sue the National Publicity Secretary of the APC, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, for N5 billion for allegedly defaming his character. Fani-Kayode, in a letter by his solicitors, Ahmed Raji & Co, said Mohammed defamed him via a statement he issued on Monday expressing doubt about his sanity.
He therefore requested that the spokesman of the APC withdraw the defamatory statement and enter into negotiations with his lawyers to avert a N5 billion suit being slammed on him.
This is even as an APC national leader, Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu, is set to sue the management of Daar Communications Limited, owners of the Africa Independent Television (AIT), for what he said is the defamatory content of a documentary aired by the television station.
Counsel to Tinubu, Mr. Tunji Abayomi, in a letter asked Daar Communications to apologise for the content and stop further airing. The letter also demanded for N20 billion as cost of damage done to the reputation of his client failing which the client will sue the company.
Join the conversation
SPECIAL REPORT: Displaced residents of Zamfara battle hunger, as underfunding derails Nigeria’s nutrition goals
On paper, Muhammad Zayyanu is seven years old. The quiet boy who looks shorter for his age could not recollect...
INVESTIGATION: N7.3bn paid for unnamed projects; how Nigerian govt spent N2.2trn in six months
Analysing nearly 3,000 payments made by various Federal Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) over the previous six months (January...
INVESTIGATION… Delay rocks Nigerian govt’s promise of N30,000 covid-19 relief for artisans, others
Before the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic in February, 2020, Chukwudi Okoroigwe’s daily earnings as a bus driver was hardly enough to cater to the...
INVESTIGATION… Ten years after, communities count losses as AfDB, Cross River govt abandon road project
Ten years after the Cross River State government and African Development Bank (AFDB) jointly awarded the Yahe-Wanokom-Wanikade-Benue border road for...
INVESTIGATION….N.3bn down the drain: Why water projects for Enugu communities don’t work
In this concluding part, ARINZE CHIJIOKE talks about some of the projects that are serving the people and how various WASH programmes have failed to tackle...