1. Kano State governor, Ganduje Umar, said he is not happy with the behaviour of Fulani herdsmen as their lack of education is graduating into banditry. He also declared that RUGA settlement should be implemented in states where Fulanis are indigenes.
2. Borno State governor, Babagana Zulum, has identified poverty and unemployment as the main causes of Boko Haram insurgency in the state. He said his government had initiated viable programmes to provide job opportunities, reduce poverty and enhance wealth in the state.
3. A human right lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome has condemned the order of the Federal High Court in Abuja proscribing the Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN) popularly known as Shi’ites. He stated that the proscription, under the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration, was discriminatory as such step is yet to be taken against killer herdsmen.
4. Nasarawa State governor, Abdullahi Sule, revealed that after implementing the directive of the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit (NFIU) on direct allocation to the Local Government Areas, LGAs, 9 LGs in his state cannot pay salaries without borrowing. He blamed their inability to pay the salaries on huge workforce and lack of initiative of the leaders to generate additional revenue internally.
5. The Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN), also known as Shi’ites, has stated that only the release of their leader, Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky and his wife, Zeenat, will stop their protests especially on the streets of Abuja. While speaking on Channels TV, the Spokesman of the group, Ibrahim Musa, said the movement has not reached a decision on the court orders proscribing the Islamic Movement in Nigeria.
6. The Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Mudashiru Obasa, has urged the Chinese government to increase its investments in Lagos. The Speaker made this call while receiving the Chinese envoy led by the country’s Consular General in Lagos, Chao Xiaoliang.
7. The men of the Inspector-General of Police Intelligence Response Team in Ogun State has arrested a 50-year old man, Rapheal Ekechi, for defrauding a trader, Emmanuel Ekpe, of the sum of N167,000 on the pretence of giving him spiritual power to boost his business.
8. The Policemen of the Isokoko Division, Agege, Lagos State, has arrested a 28-year old secondary school teacher, Idowu Daniel, for allegedly defiling a 17-year old student of the school where he teaches Computer Science. Idowu has been arraigned on a one count charge of defilement before an Ogba Magistrate Court in Lagos.
9. The Adamawa State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Sulaiman Yahaya, has confirmed that three of four wanted suspects have been arrested in connection with the kidnap of the Permanent Secretary of the Adamawa State Ministry of Mineral Resources, Emmanuel Piridimso. Piridimso, who was kidnapped on July 10, was released by his abductors about 5 days later after an undisclosed amount of money was paid as ransom.
10. Super Eagles striker, Henry Onyekuru, tied the nuptial knot with his longtime girlfriend, Esty, in Benin. The Galatasaray forward wedded his heartthrob after winning the bronze medal at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) for Nigeria in Egypt.
- GROUP TO DSS, POLICE: Be on red alert, join army to stem threat of Al-Qaeda - August 12, 2020
- Politicians to blame to insecurity in Nigeria –Gov Matawalle - August 12, 2020
- 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers, Wednesday morning, August 12, 2020 - August 12, 2020